Falsehood articles are a form of commentary on a particular subject, and are appreciated by the developer community at large for their effectiveness and terseness. They’re a convenient written form to approach an unfamiliar domain by dispelling myths, point out common pitfalls, show inconsistencies and subtleties.
In a sense, Falsehood articles are a suite of wordy unit-tests covering extensive edge-cases provided by real-world usage.
- Falsehoods Programmers Believe - A brief list of common falsehoods. A great overview and quick introduction into the world of falsehoods.
- Falsehoods About Programming - A humbling and fun list on programming and programmers themselves.
- Falsehoods About Falsehoods Lists - Meta commentary on how these falsehoods shouldn’t be handled.
- Falsehoods About Music - False assumption that might be made in codifying music.
- Falsehoods About Online Shopping - Covers prices, currencies and inventory.
- Falsehoods About Prices - Covers currencies, amounts and localization.
- Falsehoods About IBANs - International Bank Account Numbers are not immune to mistakes.
- Falsehoods About Job Applicants - Assumptions about job applicants and their job histories aren’t necessarily true.
- Falsehoods About Economics - Economics are not simple or rational.
- CLDR currency definitions - Currency validity date ranges overlap due to revolts, invasions, new constitutions, and slow planned adoption.
tax- A PHP 5.4+ tax management library.
Dates and Time
- Falsehoods About Time - Seminal article on dates and time.
- More Falsehoods About Time - Part. 2 of the article above.
- Falsehoods About Time and Time Zones - Another takes on time-related falsehoods, with an emphasis on time zones.
- Critique of Falsehoods About Time - Takes on the first article above and provides an explanation of each falsehood, with more context and external resources.
- Your Calendrical Fallacy Is Thinking… - List covering intercalation and cultural influence, made by a community of iOS and macOS developers.
- Time Zone Database - Code and data that represent the history of local time for many representative locations around the globe.
- The Long, Painful History of Time - Most of the idiosyncrasies in time keeping can find an explanation in history.
- You Advocate a Calendar Reform - Your idea will not work. This article tells you why.
- So You Want to Abolish Time Zones – Abolishing timezones may sound like a good idea, but there are quite a few complications that make it not quite so.
- The Problem with Time & Timezones - A video about why you should never, ever deal with timezones if you can help it.
- $26,000 Overcollection by Labor Department - The consequence of wrong calendar accounting.
- I Knew How to Validate an Email Address Until I Read the RFC - Provides intricate examples that are unsuspected valid email addresses according the RFC-822.
- Falsehoods About Geography - Takes on places, their names and locations.
- Falsehoods About Maps - Covers coordinates, projection and GIS.
- Falsehoods About Names - The article that started it all.
- Falsehoods About Gender - Gender is part of human identity and has its own subtleties.
- Gay Marriage: The Database Engineering Perspective - How to store a marriage in a database while addressing most of the falsehoods about gender, naming and relationships.
- Falsehoods Programmers Believe About Families - You can’t really define a family with strict rules.
- Personal Names Around the World - How do people’s names differ around the world, and what are the implications for the Web?
- XKCD #327: Exploits of a Mom - Funny take on how implementation of a falsehood might lead to security holes.
- Hello, I’m Mr. Null. My Name Makes Me Invisible to Computers - Real-life example on how implemented falsehood has negative impact on someone’s life.
- HL7 v3 RIM - A flexible data model for representing human names.
- Apple iOS
NSPersonNameComponentsFormatter- Localized representations of the components of a person’s name.
- Falsehoods About Language - Translating a software from English is not as straightforward as it seems to be.
- i18n Testing Data - Real-word international and diverse name data for unit testing and QA.
- Internationalis(z)ing Code - A video about things you need to keep in mind when internationalizing your code.
- Falsehoods About Video - Cover it all: video decoding and playback, files, image scaling, color spaces and conversion, displays and subtitles.
- Falsehoods About Networks - Covers TCP, DHCP, DNS, VLANs and IPv4/v6.
- Fallacies of Distributed Computing - Assumptions that programmers new to distributed applications invariably make.
- Falsehoods About Phone Numbers - Covers phone numbers, their representation and meaning.
- Falsehoods About Addresses - Covers streets, postal codes, buildings, cities and countries.
- Letter Delivered Despite No Name, No Address - Ultimate falsehood about postal addresses: you do not need one.
libaddressinput- Google’s common C++ and Java library for parsing, formatting, and validating international postal addresses.
addressing- A PHP 5.4+ addressing library, powered by Google’s dataset.
postal-address- Python module to parse, normalize and render postal addresses.
- Falsehoods About Systems of Measurement - On working with systems of measurement and converting between them.
- Falsehoods About Political Appointments - Designing election systems has its own tricks.
- Falsehoods About Women In Tech - Myth about women in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) industries.
- Falsehoods About Versions - Attributing an identity to a software release might be harder than thought.
- Falsehoods About Build Systems - Building software is hard. Building software that builds software is harder.
- Myths About File Paths - Diversity of file-systems and OSes makes file paths a little harder than we might think of.
- Falsehoods About REST APIs - Pitfalls to be mindful of when creating and documenting APIs.
- Falsehoods About CSVs - While RFC4180 to exists, it is far from definitive and goes largely ignored.
- Falsehoods About Package Managers - Covers package and their managers.
- Big List of Naughty Strings - Challenge your assumptions about strings.
- Falsehoods About Fonts - Assumptions about typography on the web and in desktop applications.
Content is licensed under the Creative Commons CC0 license.